Thursday, July 12, 2007

Next Project: 1960's Coat Dress



This double-breasted frock is low waisted, and has a pleated skirt that gives the illusion of a wrap-around dress. I'm planning on making view B (the red dress on the right) in navy blue with white topstitching and white buttons.

I was able to go fabric shopping yesterday, and purchased a length of navy blue handkerchief linen. The pattern actually recommends ordinary linen, twills, and other fabrics that are similar in weight, but I really prefer the texture of hanky linen compared to that of regular linen. Perhaps I ought to underline it, to give it a little more body (any suggestions?). I'm not sure how easy it would be to line such a dress, as the bodice starts like a wrap, yet runs into a pleated skirt. Hmmmm. . .

I'm also unsure as to what sort of interfacing I will use, for the envelope simply calls for a woven interfacing. I could just try a sew-in/non-fusible interfacing from JoAnn's, but perhaps a lightweight cotton, such as batiste, would be more appropriate. Does anyone have any ideas?

After seeing the pattern, my sister asked if I could make her a dress, too, so it looks as though I might be using this pattern twice!

No comments: