Friday, January 13, 2012

Herringbone Coat: Hem Interfacing

Just a quick post with a photo showing how I interfaced the hem of the coat - at this point it's very close to being finished, as I've set the sleeves and also attached the shoulder pads and sleeve heads (no pictures of the latter two, unfortunately). 


I referred to the Tailoring book for this step and have completed the hems of both the lower coat and sleeves. The hem is interfaced with wide strips of bias-cut hair canvas, which helps bear the weight of the hem allowance and lends a bit of "body" to the hem. After this, the fullness of the hem allowance is eased up with a row of machine basting and shrunk with steam. Finally, the interfacing strips are secured to the coat with hand stitching, and the hem allowance is the secured to then interfacing strips.

  Almost there! The main part of lining will be attached by machine, so hopefully I'll soon be able to post pictures of a finished coat :-)

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

Been watching your coat progress diligently and finding it all fascinating. Looking very forward to the finished piece!

Rebekah said...

Hi, Rebekah! I'm so glad you find it interesting :-) This has been a fun project and I've been learning a lot! The coat is all lined now, so hopefully I'll be able to show pictures of it this coming week.
Blessings,
Rebekah